Friday, October 8, 2010

Can Salmon Ever Run

Last weekend I had the very great privilege of witnessing Salmon running up the rapids of the Ganaraska river in Port Hope Ontario. I had the perfect view from the window of my 165 year-old Inn which was perched on the edge of the river.

Truly what an amazing sight! To witness the effort these salmon exerted fighting the force of the water was humbling. I felt the elation of a successful leap and crushing defeat when the river pushed them back. My sister and I clutched the windowsill as we loudly cheered the Salmon on.

A sight like this makes me fully appreciate the drive of an instinct that forces the salmon on an exhausting, weeks long journey to make it back to their birth river to spawn.

http://www.waterinmypaint.etsy.com/


Sketch of a salmon running, Oct 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment